Malala Yousafzai at 17 becomes the youngest Nobel Peace Prize winner in history. The youngest to ever win the award prior to Malala was Yemeni activist Tawakkol Karman in 2011, at 32. The Pakistani teenager shares the price with Indian Kailash Satyarthi for their work advocating the rights of children. Malala for every child, specially girls, rights to education and Kailash for his tirelessly work in more than 30 years against child labour.
Teen activist Malala Yousafzai was certainly one of the better candidates to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. But what about Edward Snowden for his revealing of the massive surveillance inferno of the US intelligence agency NSA. No way the Nobel Committee could have given him the price. They don» t dare. The comity isn’t there to fury the US, no way! On the contrary. There have been no problems in given the price to US imperialistic presidents as Teddy Roosevelt in 1906, Woodrow Wilson in 1920 and Obama in 2009. The Committee said about Obama: «for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.» Obama himself pointed out when receiving a prize for peace, speaking to an audience primed for pacifism, he’d made the case for war to make peace!?! Other insane peace awards as the numerous occupational and terrorist Israeli prime ministers, the genocidal Henry Kissinger, are examples of people who should have been sent to trials in The International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Hague, not been given the Nobel. A last example here is the tragic-comic (but seriously crazy enough) award to The European Union in 2012. Despite the crisis and austerity measures in the Euro zone and the violence that has marred Greece, Italy and Spain in recent years, the Union got it. Big deal!
Some hare even suggested that capitalist Bill Gates should have been awarded the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize also. I definitely say, no way. This is a man who increased his personal wealth last year by nearly $7 billion, gives no more than 3% of his wealth away every year and invests the remaining 97% to make him at least 15% profit annually without paying tax through his foundation. If he was truly a humanitarian and not just a cynical capitalist, he would give at least 5o% away of his wealth. These Foundations have vested-interest as businesses, not charities and where their primary concern is not humanity when you delve into how they operate. But there again, money talks as they say and the Nobel Peace Prize over the years has lost a great deal of its image.
We only have to look Al Gore in this respect for one who made a video about climate change, gave a few speeches that he was paid for and got the prize in 2007. The same year, Irena Sendler who in World War II saved 2 500 children risking her life every day against the Nazis tyranny, was gruesomely tortured by them and nearly shot by a Nazi firing squad, was nominated, but Gore got it. Can someone tell me which one was better to have received the Peace Prize that year?
The Nobel Committee have lost their way also in modern times and are now mainly concerned it appears with pleasing politicians, the mighty and the wealthy, not those who have literally saved the lives of thousands of young people from certain death in the Nazi death camps or revealing surveillance-like 1984-stories. Alfred Nobel would turn in his grave and no Gates has not done anything better in his life than thwarted nominees such as Irena Sendler. No, Gates didn’t t get the prize! Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi did!
«I am convinced Socialism is the only answer and I urge all comrades to take this struggle to a victorious conclusion. Only this will free us from the chains of bigotry and exploitation.» Malala Yousafzai’s message to the 32nd congress of the Pakistani section of IMT, International Marxist Tendency in July 2012. She also thanked them «for giving me a chance to speak last year at their Summer Marxist School in Swat and also for introducing me to Marxism and Socialism.»